Sunday, October 25, 2015

Halloween Mixed Media Box - Challenge Entry

Hello everyone!  I hope all of you had a great weekend.  I finally finished my mixed media Halloween project and thought I would share it with all of you tonight!  I have been working on this project for a few weeks now and am finally finished... just in time for Halloween this week.  I love how this Halloween box turned out and hope you like it too!



I didn't have a lot of money for this project, so I went to Dollar Tree and found a paper photo box to alter. I was not sure how I was going to cover the box, but knew I wanted to use a skull from a broken gravestone decoration I found in my basement.  I also had a partial autumn leaf swag remaining from the wreath I made last month. Other supplies I used include DecoArt acrylic gel medium, DecoArt orange acrylic paint, black soot Distress Paint, Dylusions ink sprays, white Academy Art acrylic paint, DecoArt Media modeling paste, masking tape, various scrapbook papers, Aleene's Tacky Glue, hot glue, fabric netting, fabric flowers, ribbon, spider stickers, and recycled gems.  I literally only spent $1.00 on the entire project!

The first thing I did to create this spooky box was line the inside of the box with striped scrapbook paper. I added orange and purple ink to the stripes to give the interior a grunge appearance. I then used black soot distress paint to distress the edges and corners of the box. Since I will be using this box to hold extra paints and art supplies, I coated the inside with two coats of acrylic gel medium.





Next I covered the exterior of the box with paper.  I decided to use 4 different papers (2 of which were glitter papers) and cut them in strips of various sizes. I then glued the paper stripes around the full exterior of the box. When the glue was dry I put two coats of acrylic gel medium over the papers to prevent the glitter paper from shedding glitter. I absolutely love glitter paper, but really hate the mess! I added a painted masking tape trim around the top of the box. I also distressed the outside edges of the box with black distress paint.  Lastly, I added a grey tag in the label holder that says "31".



After finishing the box, I decided to work on the lid. The first thing I did was line the inside of the lid with black paper. I distressed the inside of the lid with black distress paint to match the inside of the box. I then covered the exterior of the lid with a grungy grey paper.  I sprayed Dylusions ink spray on the cover to add color. I then used black distress paint to distress the lid.  I absolutely loved how the black distress paint captured the wrinkles of the glued down paper. Once the glue and ink was dry I coated the entire lid with acrylic gel medium. Lastly, I added painted masking tape trim around the edge of the lid.



I cut out this skull from a damaged gravestone decoration that I had stored in the basement.  The skull was a bit damaged, so I used modeling paste to fill in some of the damaged areas and smooth out parts of the skull. The paint was pealed off so I used black distress paint and white acrylic paint to repaint the skull. I had a bunch of recycled gems I wanted to add to the piece, and found two gems that fit perfectly in the eye sockets.  I drew cracks on the forehead and added a spider sticker to make this skull extra creepy.




To finish this box, I added a bunch of elements to the cover. I placed a "Wicked 31" note first on the cover along with a few leaves.  After gluing those elements down, I decided to add black fabric mesh to the box cover. I glued down the skull, leaves, and purple ribbon next.  The cover looked good at this point, but I wanted to add some fabric flowers and a few extra sticker spiders. The leaves and fabric flowers were painted with distress paint, acrylic paint, and alcohol markers to match the rest of the box.  In the end I decided to add a couple black fabric covered gems around the skull that looked like arrowheads.



 This is the finished box lid. I absolutely love the end result. This box is one of my favorite mixed media pieces to date!















Here are a few more pictures of the finished Halloween box.




This Halloween project is being entered in a few contests and challenges this week.  Here are the links to the challenge blogs!

Simon Says Stamp Monster Mash Challenge
DecoArt Mixed Media Haunts Challenge
That Craft Place Challenge - Anything Goes
 Anything But Cute Challenge - 31 Days of Halloween
Our Creative Corner - Halloween Horror Challenge
Frilly & Funky - Something Wicked
Emeral Creek Dares - Trick or Treat Dare

Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my mixed media Halloween box.  It is amazing what you can create with $1.00 and a bunch of stuff laying around your house.  Never let your lack of time or finances hinder your creativity. Nothing is impossible.  If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to follow this blog or subscribe via e-mail.  I do appreciate all comments and social media shares.  Again, thank you!  Have a fantastic week everyone! ❤ Tia - Copper Blossom Paperie ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment