Thursday, August 13, 2015

Throw Back Thursday- Art Journal Page!

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who is supporting my blog and artistic Journey.  I am so flattered to have such a vast audience from around the world!  Your support motivates me to keep working as an artist and sharing my work and ideas with all of you.

 I wasn't sure what I was going to post today, but decided I would show a page from my mixed media art journal.  My journal is the full size dylusions journal.  I absolutely love this journal but wasn't a fan of the price.  I ended up using a 50% off coupon at Hobby Lobby and paid $12.49 for the journal last winter.  This journal was a rare splurge for me, but I absolutely loved how big and sturdy it was.  In all honesty, an art journal can be made from a planner, old book, sketch book, or anything you have.  I also used dylusions ink, old scrapbook paper, spray fixative, glue, a black pen, and a white gel pen.  The dylusions inks I purchased on Joann's website when they were 50% off plus got an additional 20% off with coupon.  I am on Joann's mailing list and love receiving coupons... I rarely pay full price for art materials.  If you don't have dylusions inks, you can get the same effect using watercolors, watered down acrylic paint, or any dye ink.

First, I sprayed the page with lime and turquoise dylusions spray.  While that was air drying, I cut out two birds, a bunch of hexagons, and 2 Moroccan style windows out of scrapbook paper. When the ink was dry, I positioned all the cut out pieces on the page and glued them down.  I used a thin layer of tacky glue hoping it wouldn't warp the page, but it still warped a little bit.  I would recommend a glue stick or alternative adhesive. When the glue was dry, I sprayed midnight dylusions ink on the page, and added water to create drips.  When that step was dry, I outlined all the shapes with a permanent black pen and wrote the word color in the hexagons. I also drew in a few shapes and swirls. Next I sprayed the entire piece with a fixative prior to using a white gel pen.  I have found that if I use a gel pen directly on top of dylusions ink, the white pen will pull up the color from the paper.  Lastly, I created dimention by adding white gel pen to the tops of the shapes. I also created a border around the page and added 3D letter stickers to create the word Imagine.


I hope this has inspired you to start an art journal or new mixed media project.  Please feel free to comment or share this blog post with your friends. Thanks for stopping by! ❤ Tia - Copper Blossom Paper Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment